Monday, November 30, 2009

@ Rashomon

It all started in my 3rd year, when I took up a course in Critical Analysis of movies under one of my fav profs. As I remember it to be, Rashomon was the first movie I had attended.

We had those Mondays dedicated to movie watching alone ! Imagine me enjoying all those covetous looks dished out by my friends...

The prospect of watching a Jap movie straight after my noon siesta was too unthinkable a proposition ! .. I dozed off... for a good 20 minutes...

Almost as the actual incident (the first account) came to an end, was when I finally decided to stay awake and decided on finding a better way to start off the course ...

I found it bizzare, by the end of the movie, that the same incident had been interpreted by each character in his own sweet way, may be to suit his needs or even otherwise..
This was insane !! .. How could you do that unless you were obviously lying ...???
I googled it up and later came to know of this very intriguing "effect of the subjectivity of perception on recollection"...
.....
All this has come back to me only due to the water crisis that Im stuck in right now...
My roomie n I were anxiously waiting to find out whether our water tank was being filled up or not... We both were maintaining strict vigil on the water levels of the tank....
Behold !! ... I was in fact finding the water levels to be changing...fluctuating due to water inflow, while my friend could observe none of that....
What was suddenly wrong with my eyesight ??? ....
It was this subjectiveness, of wanting desperately to have that tank filled up so that I could take my bath, that led to this hallucation ... imagination ...paranoia....oh ! .. call it wat not ....this is The Rashomon Effect .... for u ... frnds ...!!

P.S. ..Here goes another evidence of people getting very deeply curious about the "Effect" - @ santoshmiz (his intro to psychology course not withstanding !)

5 comments:

  1. Rashomon effect has been introduced to me by santoshimz. But gr8 example frm ur side :)

    " wanting desperately to have that tank filled up so that I could take my bath" Lol taking bath n u :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. nd dude ... allow posting comment with name/url combo also.. inkaa ee captcha irritating raa baabu.

    nd ad dme on ur blog roll :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ sala .. cant help .. Air conditioned offices r bad in this way ! .. U gotta take bath day in day out ... thnks only to those weekends !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ sala .. do add "how to" for ... blog roll and name/url ;) .. i srsly donno..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that u added blog roll now. Can I have mine now? :)

    ReplyDelete